Getting ready to head to Churchill Downs during the first weekend of May? Lucky you! Likely you’ve already picked out a great dress and a truly showstopping hat just for Derby 143, but if you’re still searching for the perfect hairstyle, Blades has you covered.
One of 2017’s hottest hairstyle trends is an updated braided updo that adds interest and dimension to classic styles. You can see them at hip events such as musical festivals, formal occasions like weddings, and now we believe that braided updos are poised to take over Derby 143! This style is unique due to its natural versatility. Whether you’re rocking a petite fascinator or an oversized work of art, a braided updo can complete your look. This is just one of our favorite variations.
• This look will be best with second day hair, sprayed with dry shampoo to create texture.
• Create a deep side part, near the peak of your temple.
• Beginning with the front of your hair, separate a section of hair into three parts, and begin French braiding down the side of your scalp.
• Continue to French braid until you reach the nape of your neck, and then finish your braid through the length of your hair. Secure the end with an elastic, and tuck any stray sections back into your braid, securing with bobby pins periodically.
• Grasp the end of your braid and roll the braid into a bun at the base of your skull, tucking the end in and securing with bobby pins.
• Finish with a veil of hairspray and top with your Derby hat!